Thursday, September 21, 2023

Mannying Defined pt. 2: Values

 



After working at a middle school for eight months, I got to spend the summer break as a manny to two awesome, funny, crazy boys.  It was a great summer full of fun and adventure.  I felt a pure joy that I hadn't felt in awhile.  I was reminded that being a manny truly is my passion in this stage of my life.  It got me thinking about why I chose to be a manny in the first place.

I have always loved working with kids.  What better way to earn money than simply playing with kids all day?  I wish I could say that all I do is play, but when it comes to helping children develop into amazing people, more is needed than just fun and games.  Children need to be taught to respect everyone around them.  They need to learn to love learning.  And, yes, they do need to have fun.

Respect

If you've ever seen Kids Say the Darndest Things, you know that children can be brutally blunt and honest.  The younger ones especially are not afraid to give their opinions on things.  It can be confusing for a child when they get scolded for speaking a thought out loud.  What we as adults see as disrespect is usually just a kid trying to grasp something they don't understand.  

I think I've used this example before, but one kid I was working with (we'll call him A) during the 2020 shutdown was doing his third grade class completely online via Zoom.  I would sit with him and help him with his work.  I became fairly familiar with his classmates.  There was one boy in particular who clearly had a learning disability.  For some reason, his actions made A angry and uncomfortable.  After an outburst from A one day, I explained to him why this boy acted the way he did.  I explained that things looked different from this boy's point of view, so his reactions were different than most peoples'.  I saw the lightbulb go off in A's eyes.  He smiled at me and said, "He just needs friends!"

In this situation, A was getting really fired up and got quite rude.  Fortunately, he was on mute, so I was the only one to hear the outburst.  Instead of getting mad at him, though, I calmly explained what was going on with the other boy.  Once everything clicked, A was able to see how he should act around this boy.  He was taught to respect someone who acted differently.

Education

Over this past summer, my favorite part of everyday was reading with the boys.  Sometimes I would read to them, sometimes they would read to me, and sometimes we would each read on our own.  After reading, the boys would work on Prodigy, an online math game a lot of elementary schools use.  During this time each day, the boys and I were given the opportunity to relax and unwind from physical activity.  Sure, the boys tended to run around while I would read to them; but when asked comprehensive questions, the boys were almost always able to recall events from the stories I would read.  Prodigy gave me the opportunity to work one-on-one, or I guess one-on-two, to help the boys figure out the math problems they were given.

Outside of that time of day, the boys tended to be very inquisitive.  We were on Google a lot, and asking Alexa questions occasionally.  We learned about belugas, and Michael Jordan, and outer space.  Being asked dozens of questions a day can be overwhelming, but I feel it is important to answer the questions.  Or, in most cases for us, find the answers to the questions.  You never stop learning, so don't try to stop.  And when a teachable moment arises, run with it.

Fun

Who doesn't love to have fun?  And what better way to show a child you care about them than having a good time with them?  Simply playing with a child can make a huge difference in their life.

I have had parents tell me how impressed they are about how involved I am with their kids.  Honestly, that's why I took the job in the first place!  I'm not the kind of sitter to just sit and watch, unless directed by the child.  That gets really boring really fast.  I'm going to sit down on the floor, criss-cross apple sauce, and play with Legos, or Pokemon cards, or dolls.  Whatever the kids are interested in become my new interests.  I've found that this is the easiest and most fun way to connect with children.  

While having fun, it is important to also listen.  Children are more likely to open up while they are having fun.  I worked with a kid who opened up while playing with a certain stuffed animal.  He would talk through the stuffed animal, and there was just pure joy emanating from him.

But, believe it or not, having fun can be exhausting.  Independent play can be an important thing for kids to learn.  When I get tired or am hurting from sitting on the floor, I simply tell the kids that I need a break.  Depending on the kid, they will either take a break with me, or continue to play on their own.  And, as far as I can remember, no feelings have ever been hurt by me saying I need a break.

Being a manny truly is the best job ever.  Like any other job, it has its challenges.  But overall, the joy I feel from working with kids is like no other joy I've ever felt.  I can only hope that I am making a positive, lasting impact on the lives of the children I work and have worked with, because they are leaving an impact on me.  I just want to return the favor.



No comments:

Post a Comment