Thursday, June 1, 2023

Middle Schooled


Spending the last eight-ish months working as a paraprofessional in a middle school has been quite the roller coaster.  My official title was Primetime Paraprofessional, Primetime being a fun and fancy name for study hall.  I was given five classes of about 13-17 students, mostly eight graders with just a handful of 7th graders.  The job was stressful, fun, frustrating, and enlightening.  I learned a lot in the past eight months.

I learned that middle schoolers are difficult.
I learned that your children most certainly are not the perfect angels you think them to be.
I learned from experience why teachers go on strike for higher pay.
I learned how it felt to go to bed hungry and mad at the world.
I learned how to work with a supportive team.
I learned that every teacher wants what is best for your child.
I learned that not every parent cares.
I learned that middle school teachers are some of the most resilient individuals.
I learned how to listen for unspoken messages.
I learned to care about each and every individual student.

I may have learned more than the kids did.

Middle school is rough.  Teenagers can be positively infuriating.  But at the end of every day, I can look back, past all the misbehavior and frustration.  I can see the love of life in the students' eyes.  I can see the light bulbs going off as students grasp a concept.  I can see the humor and love the students share.  I can see that the future is in good hands, so long as our educators stay dedicated to their students.
I'm so grateful for the time I spent as a Primetime Paraprofessional.  I can't wait to get back to it in the fall.

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment