Thursday, May 11, 2017

Anxiety: A Short Story

It is finished.  After months of waiting, the time has finally come.  I call in the Patient.  The Patient walks into the room, slowly, timidly.  A young male, exhaustion evident in its eyes.  The Patient takes a seat next to the table, taking in its surroundings.  It catches sight of the button on the table.
"Panic?" it says.  "Is this some kind of a joke?"
I smile.  "Let's get started, shall we?"
"What's going to happen?" the Patient asks.  "Why am I here?"
"Just for a little test," I reply.
"Will my fears go away?" asks the Patient.  "Will I be Re-established?"
"I'm afraid not," I say.  "You are a threat to society and to yourself.  Your weakness will be your downfall.  This test will not cure you, but it will help us better understand what you feel.  Let us begin."
I push the button.

I wake up in my bed, the birds singing sweetly outside my window.  The sun is shining through the white curtains.  I don't remember going to bed last night.  In fact, I don't remember anything.  Not to worry, I assure myself.  I probably just took one too many sleeping pills last night.  It'll wear off soon.
A knock at the door.  My body tenses.  Who could it be?  I hesitate a moment before heading for the door.  I open the door to find a young boy.
"What is it?" I ask.  "Shouldn't you be in school?"
The boy looks up at me with sad green eyes.  When he speaks, his voice is small and quiet.  "You forgot, didn't you?" the boy asks.  He beckons me to lean forward, as if to whisper in my ear.  He taps me on the shoulder, turns around, and walks off.
That was strange, I think.  Probably just a little prankster, sent to my door on a dare.  Still, I can't help but notice that my mood has changed.  I can't quite put my finger on it, but something inside me feels different.
I make myself a hot drink to help calm my mind.  I soon forget about the boy, distracted by my thoughts.  I have a case report due today.  I need to go to the post office before heading to the office.  I should pick up some dish soap on the way home.  I finish getting ready to go.
As I step out the door, I am overwhelmed by the sounds of traffic and people's voices.  Again, something inside me doesn't quite feel right.  I begin my quarter mile walk to the post office.
"Excuse me," comes a voice behind me.  I turn to find a woman staring in my direction.  She is dressed as though she is headed to a fancy party.  "You dropped this."  She holds something out in front of her.  It is my credit card.  I reach for her hand.  She moves to the left ever so slightly and taps me on the shoulder.  She then turns and walks away, my card still in her hands.  I just stand there, a strange feeling in my gut.  I begin to sweat.  My body tenses.  Why am I not chasing after her? I wonder.  I can feel my heart racing.
I turn around, looking for someone to help me.  But I forget why I need help.  I shake my head.  "I need some coffee," I say aloud.  I walk over to the nearest café and order a cappuccino.  When I open my wallet, I find that my credit card is missing.  My mind starts racing.
Where did it go?
What happens now?
I look like an idiot.
What if all my money is already gone?
"Are you alright?" asks the man waiting behind me, tapping me on the shoulder.  I jump, startled.  It feels as though a weight has been put on my shoulders.  In fact, now that I think about it, it seems as though my shoulders have been getting heavier and heavier all morning.  My body is so tense it becomes difficult to stand.  I rush out of the café, breathing fast.  I take in my surroundings.  Why is everyone staring at me?  Where did all these people come from?  Someone taps me on the shoulder.  I turn to find who did it.  Someone else taps me on the shoulder, followed by another tap, then another, the weight on my shoulders getting heavier with every touch.  I crouch down to the ground.  I think I'm screaming.  I close my eyes and let the fear overwhelm me.  In my mind I can see all the laughing faces.  I can see my regrets.  I can see my future crumbling away into nothing.  And then...

...I wake up.  The first thing I see is the Patient.  And he is smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment