Thursday, December 20, 2018

Must Be Funny




I grew up a Nintendo kid.  Super Mario, Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda, Pokemon.  With the press of a button I was transported into a world of adventure.  I enjoyed hours of mind numbing entertainment.  At least, my mom thought it was mind numbing.  In fact, one of the most important life skills was taught to me through video games.  That skill was money management.
In the Pokemon games, you can earn money (Pokedollars) by winning Pokemon battles.  The Pokedollars can be used to purchase items for your Pokemon, decorations for your clubhouse, or various activities.  I quickly learned that I had to save my Pokedollars so I could purchase enough health items for my Pokemon before battling the Champion.  In one game, I got up to 900,000 Pokedollars.  I panicked anytime my balance went under 900,000.
In real life, I earn money and I watch how much I spend.  If I reach a certain balance, I reduce my spending.  I save up for important things that I need to succeed in my life.  The year 2018 has been a struggle, though.  Between a new car, car repairs, vet bills, and moving out to Idaho, it became very difficult to save money.  I was spending more than I was earning.  I eventually got to the point where I just stopped spending.  I literally only bought food and gas.
I now have next to nothing in my accounts.  But, because of what I learned as a child playing Nintendo, I can now make a dollar go a long way.  My banking account keeps me up at night, but in the morning, I remember that everything always works out in the end for those who work for what they need.  And 2018 is almost over.  Here's to a cheap and thrifty 2019!

No comments:

Post a Comment