Thursday, September 20, 2018

Adulting pt. 3: College Days

As mentioned in my last post, I am now living in Rexburg, Idaho attending BYU-Idaho.  I am currently just taking two classes:  History and Systems of Psychology and Behavioral Learning Psychology.  After two days of class, I am sure that I will do well.  My professors are amazing and the subjects of the classes really hold my interest.  I'm not worried about failing.  Life as a college student is what I'm worried about.
I have five roommates in my apartment, aged 18 to 23.  I'm 27.  I told them they can call me grandpa if they'd like.  I'm pretty much a grumpy old man anyway.  Lights are being left on, people are talking and singing late into the night, trash is being left on the counters.  Not only are my old man instincts kicking in, but so are my Mannying instincts.  Should I clean up after them?  Should I tell them to clean up their own messes?  Or should I not worry about it?  The other guys obviously don't worry about it, so I guess I shouldn't either?  So I'm torn.  Am I grandpa, the Manny, or just one of the guys?  My head is spinning.
I've chosen to ignore how my roommates live unless it affects me in some way.  What I can't ignore, though, is the size of campus and the lack of signs.  At the community college I attended in Pennsylvania, you could stand in one spot and see all the buildings, and yet they still had signs all over campus pointing you where to go.  BYU-I is ginormous and doesn't have a single sign telling me where I am.  The buildings are huge and only have one sign, right in front.  They're also all the same color.  So to figure out where I am, I need to walk around the buildings just to see their names.  I haven't been late to class...yet.
Making friends has always been a struggle for me.  At the community college, you sat down next to someone and ignored them for most of the semester.  At BYU-I, you sit down next to someone and become their best friend.  Very unsettling for me.  "Oh, you're 27?  Good for you, man!"  Um, thanks?  It's strange knowing that half the students on campus were in 3rd grade when I graduated high school.
I started a Mannying job yesterday for a family I've known since I was kid.  The mom used to babysit me, and now I'm babysitting her kids.  At the end of my shift yesterday, one of the kids asked their mom if I could sleep at the house.  The mom's reply was "I don't know if I can afford Philip living with us."  No worries.  I don't know if I can afford Philip living with me either. That being said, I'm excited to be working with kids again!
College life is going to difficult for me for awhile, but I'm sure I'll adjust.  I've joked around with a friend about starting a 25+ club (he's 25-years old).  So far, we've met another 25-year old and a 26-year old.  I'm still the oldest, but I'm not worried.  I just need to find my place on campus and not worry about my age.

2 comments:

  1. You had me loling at the "Good for you man, uuhh thanks?" part. Oh man. So fun to hear about how things are going for you. -Brillante

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I was afraid this post was too serious! I was going for funny, but kind of fell short I think.

      Delete