Thursday, January 26, 2017

The Manny Diaries pt. 2

Did I mention how much I love my job as a manny?  This job is one of the greatest things to ever happen to me.   But, as I mentioned last week, it was a long wait.  Seven years of applying to various child care positions on care.com and rarely even getting a response.  Meanwhile, I hear my female friends and classmates talking all about their multiple nanny jobs.  That doesn't seem fair.  I hope to change this.
Male child care providers are not the norm, as I said last week.  There aren't many of us out there.  And the handful of us who are applying to jobs aren't getting much in return.  The best place for a manny to be is in a big city.  That's where all the jobs are, where people are specifically looking for a manny.  I've checked, just out of curiosity.  But what about me?  I live in rural Pennsylvania with some suburban communities scattered around me.  There are always people looking for a child care provider.  New jobs are posted on care.com every day.  I'm not here to complain, though.  I'm here to tell you why you should consider hiring a man to watch your children. 
I'll be completely honest with you.  If you are the mother or father of a bunch of little girls, don't consider a manny.  I personally don't know what to do with girls.  I almost lost my mind playing My Little Pony with a girl I was babysitting once.  For a family of boys, though, a manny could be the perfect fit for your family.  In all my applications, I explain that all I want in life is to be looked up to.  I want to set a good example for the children (boys and girls) that surround me.  This is probably the number reason why a manny is a good idea.  Give your sons a good role model.  Dads and uncles can be great role models.  But most dads work all day.  And uncles only come to visit every once in awhile.  Your manny, though, spends a lot time with your kids.  That is his job, after all.  Find someone who can be a hero, or even just a big brother, to take care of your kids.
As I have learned with French Fry (see last week's post), men can be just as nurturing as women.  After French Fry got used to me, he became very comfortable with expressing himself to me.  He is also a big cuddler.  Whether we are reading books or watching a movie, he loves it when I put my arm around him and "keep him warm", as he puts it.  To me, this is a sign that I am doing something right.  French Fry trusts me and looks up to me for protection, even if I'm just protecting him from the cold.
Are you considering a manny yet?  I hope so!  But you should still be cautious.  These are your children, after all.  Here are some tips on hiring the perfect child care provider, whether they be male or female.

Hiring Process
One of the biggest concerns for parents, as it should be, is the safety of their children.  There are a few measures you can take in ensuring their safety.  First is interviewing likely candidates and getting to know them.  Don't just ask them about what they bring to the job.  Ask them about who they are.  What do they enjoy doing with their free time?  This can tell you a lot about a person.
Don't be afraid to ask for references.  These are your children we're talking about.  Most people I've worked with want between two or three references.  By talking with someone's friends or past customers, you can learn what to expect from the individual you are considering to hire.  What did they leave out during the interview?
And finally, ask for a background check.  This isn't common knowledge, but it is something you can do.  Have the candidate take the state level child abuse clearances.  Or, if you are looking for someone through a website (such as care.com), you can usually request a background check through the website.  Care.com is really good about that.
So next time you're in the market for a child care provider, even if it's just for a date night, don't discount the men.  Just follow the hiring process I have outlined for you, get to know your candidates, and don't be afraid to go against the norm.   

No comments:

Post a Comment